Search Smarts: Hiring the Right SEO Consultant
If you’re looking to elevate your organization’s online presence and show up where people are searching, hiring an SEO consultant may be just what you need to get there.
An SEO consultant is an expert who specializes in optimizing websites and online content to improve search engine rankings, increase website traffic, and drive conversions. These experts work closely with businesses to develop and implement a tailored SEO strategy that aligns with their goals.
In search of an SEO consultant?
Here are a few tips to consider as you begin your search for an SEO consultant:
DETERMINE EXACTLY WHAT YOU NEED FROM AN SEO CONSULTANT
As you begin your consultant search, carefully determine your specific SEO goals. Do you need someone to help develop an SEO strategy to be utilized by members of your current team or do you need someone to come in and handle the execution work too? Or maybe it’s a bit of both.
Here are a few examples of the kind of work SEO consultants typically handles for their clients:
- Conduct a thorough audit of a website's content, structure, and backlink profile to identify areas for optimization
- Perform in-depth keyword research to identify relevant keywords and phrases specific to an organization that can help improve a website’s ranking in search engine result pages (SERPs)
- Analyze user behavior data to identify areas for improvement and optimization
- Conduct technical website audits to identify issues that might be limiting organic traffic, such as broken links, slow page loading times, and duplicate content
- Develop and implement on-page optimization strategies for websites, incorporating keyword targeting into page titles, meta descriptions, and header tags
- Execute off-page optimization strategies, such as building backlinks from reputable and relevant websites, to improve an organization’s website’s domain authority and visibility in search results
- Perform competitor analysis to explore ways to improve search engine rankings
- Create and implement content marketing plans
- Provide recommendations and guidance on website design and user experience to improve organic search, user engagement, retention, and click-through rates
- Collaborate with web developers, content creators, and social media specialists to ensure a holistic approach to digital marketing.
- Stay up to date with changes in search
SEEK AN SEO CONSULTANT WITH EXPERIENCE AND A RECORD OF SUCCESS
As you review SEO consultant candidates’ resumes, you’ll want to look for someone who has ample experience and a track record of successfully optimizing websites, increasing search rankings and traffic. SEO consultants should be able to provide case studies and references that highlight their ability to achieve measurable results and create high-quality content that resonates with previous clients’ audiences.
INTERVIEW QUESTIONS TO ASK SEO CONSULTANT CANDIDATES
Once you’ve identified SEO consultant candidates that have the skills and experience, you’re looking for, it’s time to conduct interviews so that you can get to know each candidate and gain greater insight into their experience and capabilities.
Below are a few examples of the types of interview questions you might want to ask each SEO consultant candidate:
- What is your approach to search engine optimization?
- What tools do you use to conduct keyword research?
- Can you provide some examples of SEO strategies you have implemented to help previous clients achieve their goals?
- What metrics do you use to track the success of your SEO efforts?
- What are some common SEO mistakes you’ve seen other organizations make?
- How do you stay up to date with the latest SEO trends and best practices?
- What, if any, SEO or digital marketing certifications do you hold?
- What steps do you take to ensure your SEO strategies fully align with the client’s business objectives?
- Based on your research, what are some early steps you’d take to help improve our search engine rankings?
- How do you ensure a website is optimized for mobile devices and mobile search results?
- How do you handle changes in project scope or timelines?
- How do you keep clients updated on their SEO progress?
HOW A SPECIALIZED CONSULTING AGENCY CAN HELP YOU FIND AN SEO CONSULTANT
If you’re ready to hire an SEO consultant but are having trouble finding the right candidates or just don’t have the time to dedicate to the search, consider partnering with Simplicity.
Simplicity is a long-standing leader in the industry, matching clients with expert consultants in the marketing, communications, program, and project management spaces. We have access to a deep pool of SEO consultants ready to help your business level up its online search presence.
Our team utilizes a high-touch approach and will work with you through every step of your journey. From developing a detailed project outline based on your unique needs and budget to creating a shortlist of potential candidates. From there we organize working sessions with the candidates you’re most interested in and help guide you through the selection process.
Once you select an SEO consultant, you’ll work with one of our dedicated client success managers to ensure smooth sailing from kickoff to the project’s completion.